The part of the tree that is often employed medicinally is the oleoresin that accumulates in cavities within the tree trunk. It is harvested by tapping or drilling holes into the wood of the trunk and collecting the resin that drips out, much in the same manner as harvesting maple syrup. A single copaiba tree can provide about 40 L of oleoresin annually, making it a sustainable rainforest resource that can be harvested without destroying the tree or the forest in which it grows. When tapped, the initial oily resin is clear, thin, and colorless; it thickens and darkens upon contact with air. Commercially sold resins are a thick, clear liquid, with a color that varies from pale yellow to golden light brown. The variety gathered in Venezuela is said to be thicker and darker in color. Although it is often referred to a balsam or oil, it is actually an oleoresin.
Botanical name: Copaifera officinalis
Distilled part: Oleoresin
Aromatic molecules: ß-caryophyllen
Odour: Sweet and earthy aroma
Copaifera officinalis (balsam copaiba) resin
Instructions for use:
For local massage: 1-2 drops added to 1-2 drops of neutral vegetable carrier oil.
For body massage: 2-10 drops added in 5-10 ml of neutral vegetable carrier oil.
A skin patch test is recommended for those with sensitive skin.
For use in an essential oil diffuser: 1-6 drops can be added undiluted into the diffuser (ultrasonic, atmospheric).
Due to the high resins, this essential oil gets too thick to pour, please place in hot water before use or remove the internal dropper once opened.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- For external use only.
- Do not take orally.
- Do not use essential oils undiluted.
- If accidental ingestion occurs, seek urgent medical attention or contact a Poison Control Centre.
- If you have epilepsy or asthma, consult a health care practitioner prior to use.
- Avoid contact with eyes and mucous membranes; if this happens, rinse thoroughly with water or vegetable oil.
- Avoid exposure of applied area(s) to the sun.
- Do not use if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or with children under the age of 6.
- If you experience nausea, dizziness, headache or an allergic reaction, discontinue use.