Pranarôm was established 1991. The company was then made of 3 persons, selling 100% pure and natural chemotyped essential oils, a quality never reached before. Over the years, the small family business grew and started distributing its products through hundreds of stores. Even better, scientific aromatherapy strict principles were quickly adopted by aromatherapy practicioners in Asia and America. Pranarôm is a laboratory specialised in scientific and medical aromatherapy. It was founded in 1991 by Dominique Baudoux, a well-known Belgian pharmacist and aromatologist, very much appreciated for his books on aromatherapy.
“For 20 years, our teams of scientists and trainers have travelled the world to find the best aromatherapy products and share our expertise in this field. We are confident that chemotyped essential oils will be the finest assets of tomorrow’s Health. Pranarôm is a world reference in aromatherapy. This is probably due to our constant desire to offer a rigorous approach of plants and their benefits on mankind.
Pranarôm has now turned into a market leader. This is definitely thanks to all those who discover and like our products for a better health. I thank them for sharing our passion !“.
Today, under the leadership of Dominique Baudoux and Sergio Calandri, Pranarôm is the world leader of the scientific and medical aromatherapy. Its health and wellness products are sold in nearly 10,000 pharmacies and specialty stores. Still a human-sized company, Pranarôm is a dynamic business based on the talent of its many contributors, from the farmer to the pharmacist. Rooted in Nature, Pranarôm knows and respects the wonderful benefits of aromatic herbs and wants to share them with the world.
The name “Pranarôm” has a double meaning
PRANA means “breath of life” (Indian version of the Chi).
This breath is the start of all actions and decisions, it is essential energy.
ARÔM comes from “aromatic“.
We refer to all plants from which we extract essential oils as aromatics.
Breath of life and overall health provided by essential oils, the quintessences of aromatic plants.
Looking to the future…
Pranarôm is a company with a brilliant future. With its rich family tradition, today Pranarôm can conclude exclusive sales partnerships with an increasing number of agents and employees throughout the world. Pranarôm’s desire is to constantly bring in more talents and launch innovative products and field initiatives for a more harmonious life.
Proposing innovative products
Pranarôm wants essential oils to be the allies of a more harmonious life. That is why Pranarôm formulates essential oil-based products that are practical and extremely efficient.
- Health products:They bring together the assets of essential oils in innovative formulas to be taken internally or externally. These products help to contribute to a faster, more serene healing process.
- The companions of wellbeing:Inspired by the tradition of aromatic plants and sometimes combined with the nobility of vegetable oils, these essential oil-based products are brilliantly suited to your wellbeing and beauty needs.
A beautiful story
Dominique Baudoux is a pharmacist as were his father and grandfather. In the 1980s, he was one of the first pharmacists in Belgium to focus on essential oils for healthcare purposes.
Fascinated and passionate since the beginning, Dominique Baudoux toured France and Belgium to give lectures and training to his peers, thus restoring essential oils to their rightful place in our pharmacies. Very soon in his career, he flew to Japan, Quebec and South Africa where keen health professionals were eager to know more about scientific aromatherapy.
As an outstanding teacher, Dominique Baudoux shared his passion for essential oils and started developing innovative aromatherapy products. His amazingly effective formulas quickly demonstrated to his entourage the incredible healing power of essential oils.
Collected in his first bestseller “Aromathérapie – se soigner avec les huiles essentielles” (Amyris ed.), these formulas will remain forever great classics of French aromatherapy. They also made Dominique Baudoux one of the most respected aromatologists in the world.
INULA NATURAL HEALTH
Pranarôm and HerbalGem have joined forces
At the start of 2014, Pranarôm and HerbalGem joined forces to establish the first Belgian group specializing in natural therapies.
Our two laboratories have been pioneers in their respective fields of aromatherapy and gemmotherapy. For over 20 years, we have been investing to develop and share scientific knowledge of essential oils and bud concentrated macerates. Pranarôm and HerbalGem have become two leading brands recognized for the quality of their products, their professionalism and their training as well as their sound scientific basis. What is more, we share the same philosophy and passion for natural therapies.
The Inula Natural Health group will benefit from its own crops and harvesting sites for either buds and aromatic medicinal plants in Belgium and Madagascar, its two specialist production laboratories in Ghislenghien and Vielsalm, its three commercial subsidiaries in France, Spain and Italy, and an international network of distributors. Most importantly of all, it has the complete trust of millions of consumers worldwide who regularly use our products and recommend them to those around them for optimal health.
We are very proud to share this major step in our history with you and, with your support and cooperation, we hope with all our hearts that we will be able to continue to develop and promote the powerful benefits of essential oils and buds.
- 5 locations and subsidiaries: The group has its own offices in Belgium (Ghislenghien – Vielsalm), France, Spain and Italy.
- 180 combined talents: Pranarôm and HerbalGem employ 180 people through its subsidiaries, all dedicated to qualitative business development.
- Double-digit growth: Since their creation, Pranarôm and HerbalGem have never stopped growing. From 2008 to 2014, the company’s turnover has been growing constantly.
- 30 countries: The group has a very strong export tradition. Pranarôm products are sold in Japan, China, Great Britain, Eastern Europe, Chile, South Africa, Canada and wherever the public discovers the benefits of aromatherapy. In 2010, Pranarôm International was proud to receive the Export Prize awarded by the Walloon Minister of Foreign Trade.
- 13 000 points of sale: Pranarôm products are sold through a growing network of pharmacies, specialty shops and salons. Thousands of resellers have made the choice of quality with Pranarôm.
- More than 25 years of expertise: Pranarôm was founded in 1991, HerbalGem was created in 1986. We want to thank all those who, since the beginning, have worked to make our companies leaders of scientific aromatherapy and concentrated gemmotherapy.
The best essential oils – The CTEO label
- Pranarôm is a world reference in scientific aromatherapy thanks to the quality of its raw materials.
- Over 300 essential oils are presented to consumers under the brand Pranarôm. All of them are 100% pure and natural.
- Pranarôm is above all a synonym for expertise.
- Each batch of essential oil is botanically and biochemically defined and scientifically analyzed by gas chromatography.
- Pranarôm makes no compromise on the purity and the components of its essential oils.
CTEO label is the ultimate guarantee for this unsurpassed quality.
Thanks to its excellent reputation, Pranarôm is also proud to be an official supplier of essential oils in bulk for the most prestigious brands in the world of beauty (Estee Lauder) and pharmacy (Pfizer, Capsugel).
Products of impeccable quality
Aromatherapy as proposed by Pranarôm can only be practiced with products of constant and impeccable quality. Pranarôm carries out physical and chemical quality control. For each essential oil, physical tests such as refraction index analysis, optical rotation analysis, density measurement, flash point calculation, etc. are performed. Chemical testing also takes place: chromatography and mass spectrometry. The odor, color and texture are also judged according to a strict standard.
The quality procedure may be illustrated by a diagram:
The Pranarôm charter
For an ever stronger commitment to quality, Pranarôm International has adopted the following charter:
- Priority is given to certified organic raw materials and, failing this, to wild plant matter harvested on untreated sites.
- Double analysis of all batches of essential oils takes place in house and through an independent laboratory. These analyses are performed in compliance with the European pharmacopoeia, AFNOR standards and strict internal standards.
- GM-free ingredients.
- Traceability. There is a technical sheet and sample for every batch of essential oil, for every synergy of essential oils made at Pranarôm and for every one of the finished products (massage oils, shampoos, etc.).
- Production takes place according to the procedure as specified by HACCP (Hazard Analysis of Critical Control Point) standards. These standards imply traceability and self-inspection of finished products (bacteriological control, chromatography etc.).
- Full compliance with good manufacturing practices (GMP) and good laboratory practices (BPL).
PRANARÔM MAKES A COMMITMENT
To sustainable development: AROMABE
All around the world, Pranarôm works in close collaboration with growers and distillers of aromatic herbs. This proximity allows Pranarôm to monitor the quality of its essential oils from the plant to the bottle.
In the early 2000s, Pranarôm committed with farmers in Madagascar to develop with them a responsible agriculture of local herbs in order to promote a traditional distillation process that would respect both the environment and the industrial quality.
In 2009, Pranarôm initiated in Antsirabe an extensive local development project that provides a stable and fair employment to more than one hundred people while preserving the laboratory supplies of essential oils. This project is called AROMABE.
For a more sustainable development in Madagascar, Pranarôm invests in ecological plantation of organic ravintsara and other local plants.
Eco-friendly production methods are respected. On the island, Pranarôm also invests in the culture of endangered species like rosewood.
In ORGANIC farming
Pranarôm supports organic farming, as it is best for Nature. Whenever possible, Pranarôm formulates its products organic and complies with the demands of organic certification. Most Pranarôm products carry a certification label issued by organisms recognised as the strictest European bodies such as ECOCERT France and Certisys Belgium.
Pranarôm’s 10 main strengths
- Mastery of the biochemical specificities (chemotypes) of essential oils.
- Quality guarantee: “QC3” system, physico-chemical ?and spectrograph analysis by three independent laboratories.
- Privileged relationship with the distillery workers.
- Expertise: a team of researchers and scientists in charge of developing and analyzing the activity profiles and toxicity of essential oils.
- International presence in foreign universities and at scientific conferences.
- Availability of a wide range of wild raw materials or materials with organic certification (audit Certisys-BE1).
- Over 250 references for chemotyped essential oils and virgin plant-based and organic oils.
- Development in our laboratories of several finished product lines based on chemotyped essential oils.
- International expertise in the formulation of high performance aromatic synergies and “Private Label” style production.
- Education: training programs, seminars and workshops.
ORGANIC OR NON-ORGANIC: THE BEST ESSENTIAL OILS
Conventional, BIO certified or wild…
There are a number of different categories of essential oils.
100% pure, 100% natural and 100% complete or integral essential oils are rare and their price is higher if they meet all the quality criteria for a chemotyped essential oil.
In general, we can distinguish several quality levels for essential oils:
- Industrial standard quality: the essential oil comes from a plant that is not botanically defined, is industrially cultivated and not necessarily harvested at a time that is particularly favorable. Distillation is very often incomplete or the essential oil is rectified and even chemically reconstituted.
- Chemotyped quality, 100% pure and 100% natural: the essential oil is obtained after full distillation of botanically identified plants that are harvested at the right time. The distilled aromatic plants can come from agriculture or wild production. The biochemical components of the essential oil are known and correspond to the desired quality profile.
- BIO certification: the essential oil is obtained from plants whose cultivation has been awarded BIO certification by an approved body.
What is the best essential oil?
Whether or not it has BIO certification, the best essential oil is one which is chemotyped, 100% pure and 100% natural.
*Ingredient grown organically (audit Certisys BE-BIO-01) – ECOGARANTIE ® certified product in accordance with ECOGARANTIE specifications (audit CERTISYS)
*Ingredient from organic farming (audit Certisys BE-BIO-01) – BIO means: from organic farming (audit Certisys BE-BIO-01)